February 15, 2014 by 250 Beers
Today, 15th February 2014, marks the first anniversary of 250beers.com. It was exactly a year ago that this blog went live in its new format having featured for six months prior elsewhere. You’ll find posts on my blog pre-dating mid-February 2013 however they were imported from my old blog during some early testing.
A few things have occurred in the past 365 days that I had not planned for at the start:
- 167 posts have been published (this actual post being number 167)
- A total of 555 comments have been received on these posts
- 250beers.com has accumulated 2,354 followers across seven different forms of social media
- I have gained many, many new friends and acquaintances
- I have taken in many, many new beers (circa 520)
- I hosted a blog/beer event at a bar in Brisbane’s CBD
- 250beers.com featured as Blog of the Month on The Crafty Pint
- In a bizarre twist, I got recognised on a train the day after appearing on The Crafty Pint. That random guy (sorry Baz!) and I are now friends. Strange but true
- I helped brew a commercial beer as part of the Bacchus Beer Bloggers Series
- Breweries and/or their PR companies have sent me free stuff and beer
- A 250beers.com T-shirt came to life
- I was invited to be a judge at Archive for a Craft Beer Rising event (that’s next weekend folks!)
- I’ve been asked to speak at the next Beer InCider Social Club meet (that’s next week too!)
- I was invited to co-brew a beer at Bacchus for a Tippler’s Tap event during Brewsvegas
- I received an invite to be part of the brewing of the official Brewsvegas beer at Green Beacon
- I received an invite to join the Stone & Wood team at this year’s Stone Beer brew
Do you know what? Even with a full-time, paid, ‘real’ job and a young, demanding family in my life I wouldn’t change any of the above – in particular the ‘friends’ bit.
My desire to try new beer and explore new beer has grown (hence the consumption of more than 520 unique beers in the past 12 months) as has my desire to talk and write about my appreciation of beer and the wonderful city that I drink it in. Early in 250beers.com’s tenure I wrote about Brisbane’s craft beer scene exploding and that Brisbane was riding a huge wave of craft beer boom. Well, it doesn’t seem to be showing any signs of losing momentum and I feel that this blog and I (the writer/author/editor/whatever) have been extremely fortunate to have grown alongside that surge which includes the opening of lots of new breweries and bars.
What do the next 365 days have in store for 250beers.com? Well, there are a few things on the horizon in the immediate future that I’m quite excited about. Five of them are listed above and will all occur within the next four weeks.
I’m also really looking forward to The Second Combing at Newstead Brewing Co on the 13th March. Not only will the second keg of Hair of The Blog IIPA be tapped but between us, Mark Howes (NBCo) and I have devised a fundraiser for the Leukaemia Foundation’s World’s Greatest Shave. I honestly can’t wait. The chance to do something for charity on a largish scale is a wonderful feeling and something I may never have done had it not been for the existence of my blog.
Other than these things, who knows what’s in store? If I knew then I’d focus my blogging efforts on crystal balls and possibly time travel.
To anybody reading this and to anybody that follows my blog whether it’s casually or religiously – thank you. I really mean it. Hold on tight as my beery journey continues.
Happy first birthday 250beers.com